A roof replacement is a significant home improvement project, requiring thoughtful planning and precise budgeting. Understanding precisely what you’re paying for can save you from any unexpected shocks, including emergency roof repair, and ensure you get the best value for your hard-earned money. At BSR, we believe in empowering our clients with the right knowledge to budget smartly for their roof replacement.
Factors to Consider When Budgeting for a Roof Replacement
Four crucial elements go into budgeting for a roof replacement:
- Roof Size. This directly impacts the amount of materials required and labor hours involved.
- Choice of Roofing Material. The varied options come with different price points depending on the quality of the manufacture, durability and level of maintenance.
- Labor Costs. This factor may vary between roofing companies, but the price for it is dictated by how complex the roof replacement job will entail. For example, working on a steep-sloped roof would require additional safety precautions such as harnesses and scaffolding, thus affecting the labor cost.
- Disposal of the Old Roof. Some roofing contractors may offer to dispose of the old roofing material for a fee.
Tips for Budgeting for a Roof Replacement
Here are a few tips to help you manage your roof replacement budget effectively:
- Schedule a Roof Inspection. First, get a local professional to assess the property to discover any concerns and receive more accurate estimates later. A thorough roof check can prevent severe issues from developing. Though costly upfront, it can save hundreds later.
- Get Multiple Estimates. Make sure to obtain detailed quotes from reliable roofers and home exterior services providers. Compare these quotes for the best price, quality, and online reviews. Don’t settle for the first slick salesman that comes knocking.
- Choose the Right Materials. The type of materials you use will greatly affect the price of your roof. Check with different suppliers to find the best deal for your desired finish. Whether it be asphalt shingles, metal, shakes or tiles, be sure to price different brands and styles. Remember to compare warranties along with everything else.
- Time Your Roof Replacement. This project can be scheduled at any time of the year, but to get the best deal possible, consider doing so during the off-season. Roofers and home improvements are more available to take on roofing jobs than during the peak season, which is around late summer through fall. With a lesser demand for roofs, you won’t have to undergo long waiting times. Plus, you get to pick the best contractor for your needs.
By properly budgeting for a roof replacement, you can complete the project without putting yourself under unnecessary financial strain. For your roof repair and replacement needs, turn to BSR. Call us at (607) 722-7221, or fill out our online form to schedule an estimate.